Monday 21 November 2022

Puerto Barrios to Flores 1

Although we weren't leaving until 0900, we decided to get up at dawn in the hope that the birdlife around the water's edge would be more prolific, and more photographable, than it was last night.  Unfortunately we woke to flat grey skies and quite a cool breeze blowing.

If I'm honest I can't remember if I was trying to be creative with this shot or whether it was just so early in the morning I hadn't engaged my brain and got the settings wrong - either way, I sort of like it in a funny, abstract, way.

Still by the lake and we could hear a woodpecker and eventually I got this grotty shot.


Unfortunately the beautiful calm sea of last night had been replaced with a rather grey, choppy Caribbean.

There wasn't much birdlife around so I stalked this poor egret for about 15 mins.

Pelicans, at last, I do love them!

Pole dancing

These remind me of home-made tin can "stilts" from the 1960s


A very, very rare sighting - Ian with a camera in his hand!

Eventually we found a dry seat for Ian to sit on whilst I wandered around upsetting a few more birds and taking the same shot of a static object that I'd no doubt taken the night before.

Some rather better shots of the Great Kiskadee.

Definitely Bird on a Wire

A few pictures of the surroundings.



I've not seen grass this acid green since we went to North Wales, it rains a lot there too.


I wasn't making it up about grazing ponies.

A couple of the others were up and about early and we sat chatting with Dave for a while - he told us he'd seen a couple of swans around the grounds, but I'm presuming he saw geese like we did!

After breakfast we left our suitcases at reception as the bus was following on with the luggage and made our way back to the lake where a motorboat was waiting for us.  This was one of the activities I'd been looking forward to most on this holiday "by boat from Puerto Barrios through the jungle with its exotic birds and colourful fauna".  Sadly I think this is going to be another Scarlet Ibis disappointment (see Trinidad and Tobago, Asa Wright Day 5) -  just as we started to board, the first drops of rain began to fall and we were given large plastic sheets to cover us and our belongings. 

A couple of shots of the hotel's replica buildings as we passed by.

Given the atrocious weather that then rained down on us, actually I'm surprised at how dry we remained.

Fortunately there wasn't a great deal to see as we sped along parallel to the coast, just a few nice houses with their own moorings.





I thought at first these were white buoys on the right side.


The trip to Livingston took about 40 mins and personally I couldn't wait for it to be over - even if the weather had been kinder we still wouldn't have seen much the speed we were going.


The town of Livingston, at the mouth of the Río Dulce, is one of the most isolated and difficult communities to access as there are no roads to it whatsoever -  the only way you can arrive is by boat, like we did.  Although I’m sure on a gloriously sunny day the town’s unique cultural heritage and offbeat Caribbean vibe feels completely different, but on a wet, grey, miserable day I felt it rather an intimidating place; certainly no friendly, welcoming smiles came our way.  The c.20,000 population are an unusual mix of Garífuna*,  Afro-Caribbean,  Maya and Ladino people.

* Garífuna people, simply speaking, are descendants of a mix of free Africans and indigenous Americans that originated on the Caribbean island of St Vincent.


I don't think my camera and I are going to be very well tolerated here so I'll need to be very careful and stick close to the group.
 




Nope, no idea!


Given there is no road access to the town, I was surprised to see a traffic policewoman controlling a road junction.




I know taking stuff from the ocean is not considered acceptable anymore, but they really are beautiful




I loved this little chap with his Super Mario cap.



I'm well known for my dislike of cats (hereditary so I can't help it) but even I though this little kitty was cute.


We've not seen many flowers at all so I couldn't resist a Zinnia


Some of the housing seems quite basic, to say the least.



And there are even public washing facilities.


Some properties, although unfinished, look quite nice - but look at the razor wire!


And the window grilles on this house, which at least provided a great game for the two kids.



Emilio had told us he had a special surprise for the group and we were taken to the far end of town, down by the water's edge.  


I've struggled to find any information about this statue, other than it is of the God of the Sea.


I can't possible imagine this could be the same bird I'd stalked at the hotel this morning, but he did look at little concerned when he saw me.


These kids were certainly enjoying themselves in the water.



The "surprise" turned out to be a short dancing demonstration under a rather grotty roof, by a very bored looking girl who certainly hadn't bothered to dress up for the occasion.  And all the while a women stood in the doorway behind looking on.


Some stills for when I convert this to a Kindle book


Various group members were then encouraged to join in.  I think perhaps Emilio took it a little far when he danced with Trish and as you can see from her face, Sue was not amused.


Ian's back gave out on the first gyration.




Walking back up from the sea these two little cuties were playing peek a boo with me and squealing with laughter so much that their mum came out to seeing what was going on.  I'd have loved a picture of them together but this is all I got. 



I think this scooter might just be beyond economical repair.


"I will steer round the corner"


Green Heron


We stopped off in town on the way back for a welcome cuppa and then headed back down to the harbour.