Thursday 17 November 2022

Chichicastenango 4

After a welcome drink and short rest we headed off to visit the indoor food market.  The whole town is so colourful I couldn't resist a few more street shots en route. 


Yummy - Corn on the Cob (you need to look closely!)


Fabulous broomsticks and bags on sale.



See what I mean about the sheer number of candles they get through here?



Making tortillas





This lad was having a great time entertaining himself playing jack-in-the-box when I snapped him - I tried to engage with him and get him to do it again, but he was too shy and just hid in his box.



Cute little squash.


This is a death stare if ever I saw one - I can't remember the circumstances but can only assume he walked into my shot as I wouldn't have dared be so intrusive.  


The indoor Fruit and Veg market uses a sports hall and we were able to go up to the first level and look down on the colourful sight.  It certainly made covert photography a lot easier.










We then had to walk back to the breakfast hotel to pick up the bus and of course the weak bladders needed the loo to prepare for a 2 hour drive, so I wandered back around the garden and took exactly the same shot I’d taken a few hours earlier!



These stirrups are made of wood and incredible heavy.



Although by now it was only around midday, having got up a 0300 I fell asleep pretty quickly on the journey to Antigua but here's a few fuzzy, snaps I took through the window before I did so.

Clearly we were passing through a terracotta pot village when I took these first two.




Not really what you want to see!


I'd definitely rather this outcome than the former.


Whenever we came across major new road projects we noticed that the land around had been heavily excavated, so it looks to me like they just use whatever materials are nearby.