Saturday 12 November 2022

Oaxaca to Tehuantepec 2

Although they didn't get long to sleep it off as we were soon to the next stop of Mitla which was quite a strange place to get to and involved driving through the narrow streets of San Pablo Villa de Mitla and then along an unmade road.  When we arrived we then had to hang around for 15 mins as numbers in the complex were restricted.

Mitla is another important Zapotec site originally built around 500-800 AD but then the conquering Spaniards built on top on it in the 16th century.  Once again I didn't pay enough attention to what Francisco was telling us, so I can't add much more.

Great timing for once with this cool looking dude walking into shot.





At first glance these steps don't look very tall, but just look how many are holding on.


And when you look down from the top, boy are they steep!


No idea if I'm honest - just another pile of stones.


As usual I was more interested in flora and people.





With mobile phone technology it's so easy to encourage kids to take an interest in photography.  I was 7 years old when I got my first camera but with 1 roll of 12 exposure film a year, I was almost too scared to ever use it.


This guy jumped up to get out of the way when he saw I wanted to take a photo, but when I explained the he "made the picture" he was happy to sit back down again.


We seem to have done an awful lot this morning and I've noticed that lunches seem to be getting later and later.  There weren't many options so we stopped at a place which offered hot/cold buffet although when some explained they wouldn't eat much Francisco did try and negotiate a lower charge.


I had a cursory glance at the wide range food on offer and decided there was nothing suitable for me, settled for just a beer.  Ian had only a small plate of food but despite that was still charged the full rate for the buffet.

I think this display of saddles on the way to the loos is facing the wrong way for watching TV.


Being a mezcal producing region, as you'd imagine there are many acres of agave being cultivated and it amazed me just how they grew on the steep hillsides.  




 




I got rather involved trying to take pictures through the window of the bus and discovered a tiny shutter lag on both cameras, which results in lamp posts, road signs and all sorts of other unnoticed things appearing in my images - it became something of a joke between me and Ian.





We drove though some magnificent countryside with wonderful views. 




These glorious shots were taken when I crossed the road after we'd stopped at a petrol station.







Incidentally, the petrol station forecourts are generally massive - but then again so are the size of the vehicles using them.



The last one before I have a little snooze.


We finally got to Tehuantepec just as it was getting dark and drove straight through to our hotel which was situated about 5kms out of town.  The hotel was modern and perfectly OK for an overnight stop to break our journey.  Dinner was communal with the group but luckily two tables and, whilst the menu was fairly limited, by pure luck I chose the most delicious salad and cleared my plate.