Thursday 17 November 2022

Chichicastenango 2 (Shaman Ceremony)

To my surprise the Shaman was a middle aged lady and we had to follow her to the top of her very steep and muddy garden and at 0900 on a rather damp, chilly morning it didn't quite have the spiritual atmosphere I'd envisaged, especially with the odd plastic chair and broom lying around - not to mention the ever present mobile phone!  But I tried to contain my cynicism and record the event (like a pro photo journalist would!)

Obviously this was going to be just a generic ceremony as none of us had asked for any special cures or for curses to be put on anyone (ok, well maybe just on one) so I think it simply involved asking for health, wealth, happiness and safe travels etc.


Depending on what you read, the different coloured candles represent the 4 cardinal points (White=N, Yellow=S, Red=E, Black=W) plus Blue=Sky and Green=Mountains.

Incidentally we've seen so many candles used over the last few days I can't help thinking being a candle maker in Central America must be a license to print money and thank goodness they are made mostly from paraffin wax now rather than tallow.


Yikes!!  Do you think she sensed my scepticism?







I rather fancied this seat but unfortunately it was a bit wet.


The men were encouraged to join in first - remember women are definitely second class in the Maya culture.


They then had to say their name and throw their candle into the fire whilst asking for their wish to be granted - and I'm guessing Ian's wish was that I wasn't taking photos of his socks and sandals combo!



Us women then got to do the same and to be truthfully honest, I don't know how I kept a straight face but, each to their own, one of the group was actually moved to tears!




Emilio just after he'd tasted the home made "grog" in the gourd which is used as an accerrelant - I was seriously worried he wouldn't make it back down the slippery garden.